We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
How to make boiled meat: the origins of this typical Piedmontese dish and the traditional recipe. Differences with the classic boiled meat, the mixed boiled meat and the Piedmontese great boiled meat. Which cuts of meat to use and which wine to accompany this rich course.
Boiled meat, the origins of the recipe
Theboiled meatit's arecipeof the Italian food and wine tradition. It is not wrong to include the boiled meatamong the typical Piedmontese dishes because, going back to its origins, boiled meat is born in the heart of Asti!
A first recipe for boiled meat was found in the Italian cook's recipe bookAntonio Latini, born in Asti in 1642.
How to make boiled meat
Making boiled meat does not mean immersing the ingredients in water and waiting for them to be cooked! This operation requires a series of precautions that lead to an irresistible final result: a tender, tasty and aromatic boiled meat. In this regard we will illustrate you how to make boiled meat following the original recipe, step by step.
The first rule of boiled meat concerns the temperature of the water: it must be very hot so that the albumins of the surface layers of the meat coagulate due to the heat. Rapid coagulation of the albumins prevents the loss of liquids and nutrients from inside the meat. That's why a boiled meatwell done sees each piece characterized by a unique flavor and softness.
The proportion of water must be about 3 liters per kilo of meat, with about 15 grams of coarse salt and the addition of vegetables capable of further flavoring the broth. The cooking of the boiled meat takes about 3 hours and requires a very slow boil.
Boiled meat, the recipe
Among the ingredients we will point out, in a generic way, "beef". Traditionally, the most used cuts of beef for the preparation of boiled meat are:
The boiled meat is enriched with other beef such as: bow, priest's hat, soft meat and shoulder.
- 1 kilo of beef
- 3 liters of water
- 15 grams of coarse salt
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- A few sprigs of celery
- Thyme, bay leaf, parsley, pepper to taste
For a boiled beef only, choose cuts of the forequarter such as the priest's hat or the spindle.
How to make boiled meat
- In a tall, narrow pot, boil the water with the chopped onion, carrot peeled and cut into large pieces, the pepper cut into strips, the celery and the bunch garnished with parsley, bay leaf and thyme
- When the water has reached a boil, add the salt and immerse the piece of meat. After a few minutes of cooking the first impurities will rise on the surface, which you will gradually remove with a slotted spoon
- At this point, add some peppercorns
- Reduce the heat to low, so that the boil is numb. The turbulence of the boiling could fray the fibers and make the meat stringy.
- After about 3 hours of cooking, check if the piece of meat by inserting a fork in the center or in the thickest part: if it is ready it will not have to resist.
- Once cooked, transfer the boiled meat to a cutting board, cut it into slices about 8 mm thick. using a long, smooth blade knife. If you do not have to serve the meat immediately, leave it in the broth, if you pick up the meat and then consume it after several hours, it will tend to become tough.
- Arrange the slices of meat on a serving dish and serve.
- The boiled meat goes very well with a classic green sauce or with spicy mustard, mayonnaise and mustard.
How to make boiled meat, useful tips
- Only prefer beef from local farmers (zero-kilometer beef).
- During cooking, the boiled meat must never be left to itself, especially in the initial part it must be repeatedly foamed to eliminate the impurities that emerge on the surface
- To be sure that the water keeps an insensitive boil, keep the heat very low and the container half-covered.
- Avoid choosing meat from intensive farming.
Mixed boiled meat and great Piedmontese mix
If you want to prepare a mixed boiled meat add half a capon (it is a castrated male chicken) or, alternatively, free-range chicken and hen will work well.
For the recipe of Great mixinstead, you can also add pork. In general, pork can also be added cotechino or zampone. The latter must be cooked separately, because they cloud the broth (obviously also in this case it is better to prefer meat from local farmers).
Thegreat mix Piedmontese styleit is also known ashistorical Piedmontese Risorgimento boiled meat. Let's talk about a typical dish loved byKing Vittorio Emanuele IIwhich throughout history has preserved its original integrity. TheGreat Mixedin fact, in canonical terms it includes seven main cuts of beef cooked together in a large pot. It also contains seventrinkets, i.e. seven cuts of meat to be cooked in separate small pots. Contains a rchiamo(pork loin).
He plans to be accompanied by seven baby baths (seven different sauces) and four side dishes such as boiled potatoes, buttered spinach, sautéed mushrooms and sweet and sour onions.
Which wine to serve with the boiled meat
Among the many types of wine, the most suitable are the typical ones Piedmontese wines such as Barbera, Dolcetto and Grignolino.
You might also be interested in
Waygu meat: benefits